Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
Yield: 8 crepes (10 inch)
For the batter:
1 bag of banh xeo mix
3 cups of water
2 tsp turmeric powder
1 can 14 oz coconut milk
1 sprig of spring onion, finely chopped
For the filling:
1/2 lbs shrimp (I use 50/60 size, peeled and deveined)
1/2 lbs pork belly (remove the skin if yours come with)
1/2 yellow onion, sliced thinly
1/2 lbs bean sprouts
For the assembly:
Lettuce, cucumber, mint leave, and anything you want to wrap with
- Mix the batter by combining the flour mix, turmeric powder, water and coconut milk. Make sure there is no lumps. Add the chopped green onions. Set aside to rest.
- Follow my recipe to make nuoc cham.
- Prepare the filling by washing and drying the bean sprouts, wash and devein the shrimps, slice the pork belly thinly and slice the onion. Set aside.
- In a 10 inch skillet over medium high heat, add 1/2 tbsp of vegetable oil and swirl around to coat.
- When the skillet and oil is pipping hot, add 3-4 shrimps and 3-4 pieces of pork and cook. Make sure they are spread around. When the pork and shrimps are cooked 2/3 way through, add a few slices of onion.
- Pour 1 ladle of batter, about 1/2 cup, to the pan and swirl around to coat. Add a small bunch of bean sprouts, then cover with lid.
- Cook for 3-4 mins until the bottom of the crepe is crispy and the bean sprouts look wilted.
- Fold the crepe in half, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Repeat the process until you run out of batter or filling.
- Serve hot.
How do I make the batter mix if I can’t find the pre-mix package?
You can certainly mix your own batter. You will need:
- 1 cup of rice flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cup water
Mix together the ingredients and add thinly chopped green onion.
How do I eat banh xeo?
The traditional way to eat banh xeo is to wrap it in rice paper with lots of green vegetables, then dip in nuoc cham. Simply run the rice paper through warm water to soften up, add a quarter of 1 banh xeo to the center, add some lettuce, mint, cucumber or whatever your heart desires and roll it up.