Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 60 mins
Total Time: 1 hour 15 mins
Yield: 1 loaf or 10 servings
For the loaf:
1/2 cup butter at room temperature
1 cup white sugar
3 large eggs at room temperature
2 tbsp lemon zest
1 tbsp lemon juice from the same lemon
2 tsp vanilla extract
1.5 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup sour cream, removed from fridge 15 mins before using
For the glaze:
1/2 cup icing sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
1 tbsp lemon juice, plus more if needed
- Preheat oven to 325 F (163 C). Spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan with baking spray and line with parchment paper that cover the bottom and all sides. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer (or you can mix by hands) until it’s light and fluffy. Add in the egg, 1 at a time and mix well after each addition. The mixture should be super fluffy.
- Add the lemon zest, juice, vanilla and beat to combine together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour to the egg & butter mixture, follow by the sour cream. Your order should be: 1/3 of the flour mixture, 1/2 of the sour cream, beat to combine. Then, add another 1/3 of the flour and the rest of the sour cream. Mix well, then add the last 1/3 of the flour. Remember to scrape the side of the bowl well and mix in whatever ingredients stuck to the side.
- Pour the mixture to the loaf pan and level the top.
- Bake for 55-60 mins or until the cake passes the toothpick test (when you insert the toothpick into the cake and it comes out clean).
- Allow the cake to cool on a cooling rack. Meanwhile, mix together the glaze by combining the icing sugar and lemon juice to the consistency of your liking. Optional: you can zest in half a lemon for a pop of lemon taste in the icing.
- Place the loaf on a baking sheet or parchment paper, then pour the glaze on top. This will catch any drips from the glaze and minimize your clean up.
- Cool the cake completely, slice and enjoy.