Preparation Time: 18 hours 15 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
Total Time: 18 hours 55 mins
Yield: 1 loaf
3 1/4 cups (425g) all purpose flour
2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (warm to the touch)
Prepare & proof the dough:
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt and yeast.
- Add the water and stir together with wooden spoon or spatula until there’s no more dry flour. The dough will be shaggy and loose.
- Cover with plastic and let it proof overnight on kitchen counter. The best result is between 12 to 18 hours. Note: If your house is warm, make sure the dough stays in a cool spot overnight to prevent overproofing. If you are afraid of overproofing, leave the dough in your turned off oven with a closed door.
Bake the bread:
- Place a Dutch oven in a middle rack of your oven. Preheat the oven to 450°F (232°C).
- While the oven is preheated, it’s time to shape the dough. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface.
- Fold the dough onto itself by pulling the outer edges up and into the centre to form a ball. The dough will be a bit more tightened and can hold its shape.
- After all the edges have been folded to the centre, flip the dough ball upside down so the seam you just created is now at the bottom. Place the dough ball on a piece of parchment paper.
- Lightly flour the top of the dough ball and let it rest until the oven finishes preheating.
- Once the oven is ready, very carefully pull the VERY HOT Dutch oven out and open its lid. Lift the parchment paper with the dough and very carefully drop it in the Dutch oven.
- Close the lid and bake with the lid on for 30 mins. After 30 mins, take the Dutch oven’s lid off and bake another 15-20 mins without the lid to get the golden colour on the crust.
- Once done baking, carefully take the bread out by lifting the parchment paper. Let the bread cool completely before slicing. Enjoy!