Preparation Time: 1 hour 30 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 2 hours
Yield: 4 plates
2 cups rice flour
2 tbsp tapioca flour
1 tsp salt
4 cups water
2 tsp vegetable oil
- In a bowl, mix well the rice flour, tapioca flour, oil, salt and water. Leave the batter to rest for 1 hour.
- After the hour, bring a pot of water to boil. Set up a double boiler or steamer.
- Add the banh beo dish to the steamer to warm them up.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of batter to each dish, close the lid and cook for 5 mins.
- Carefully take the dishes out. With a spoon dipped in cold water, remove the cooked batter.
- Repeat the process until all the batter is finished.
- Traditionally, banh beo is cooked in a flat dish. You can find the dipping sauce dish at any Asian grocery store. If you do not have it, you can use any small dish or bowl that fits your steamer, or any reusable cupcake liner.
- Banh beo is arranged overlapping each other such as the image below
- It is served with Tom Chay which is toasted shrimp flakes, scallion oil topping, and nuoc cham which the infamous Vietnamese dipping sauce made from fish sauce. Click on the following link to learn how to make: